Monday, April 14, 2008

Pressing the Flesh with Politicians of all Stripes (7/04)

Although August is always the worst month for fundraising, it’s a great month for getting in touch with politicians. In August 2004 I hosted a get-together for New York State Representative Jose Serrano and U.S. Representative Carolyn Maloney. Then I joined New York State Governor George Pataki at a dinner during the Republican National Convention in Manhattan.
With U.S. Representative Carolyn Maloney.

I also joined company with New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg and North Sulawesi Governor John Sondakh. If we need to call upon government officials to cut red tape to help us move OI’s mission forward, then we obviously need to know them.

With New York City Mayor Mike Bloomberg.

Since founding OI Worldwide, I have met with two presidents of Guyana, my old friend President Janet Jagen and the incumbent President Bharrat Jagdeo.

Meeting with d Indonesian diplomats in New York City.

In Indonesia I met with North Sulawesi Governor John Sondakh and the Vice Governor of Bali, as well as former President Abdurrahman Wahid, known affectionately as “Gus Dur.” I met the representative of the Governor of the Southeast Province who attended our July 4th OI Haiti board meeting in Cyvadier.

Meeting with the Episcopal Bishop the
Rt. Rev. Zache Duracin
in Gonaives, Haiti.

In addition, I have met with Episcopal Bishop of Haiti, Rt. Rev. Zache Duracin, who had introduced me from the pulpit in Gonaives, New York City Councilmember Eva Moskowitz, for whom I held a coffee in my living room, and Indonesian Consul General Kristio Wahyono, who invited me to lunch last fall before he returned to Indonesia. In New York, I continue to meet political figures such as Congressman Charlie Rangel. Connections are vital to our ability to raise funds and remove levels of bureaucracy, both essential to allowing us to raise Global Citizens.

No comments: